‘Novi Sad 2021’ Foundation within the Plants AiR programme for artists and workers in culture and in cooperation with ADATA AiR from Plovdiv (Bulgaria) launches:
AN OPEN CALL
for selection of artist who will be sent to a residential programme in Plovdiv (Bulgaria). Host organisation in Plovdiv is ADATA AiR.
During the residence, the selected artist should develop and propose a concept for one or more artworks to be produced and presented within the program of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 in the frame of the stay.
About host organisation
ADATA AiR is an artist-in-residence programme held in Plovdiv – European Capital of Culture 2019. The residency aims to give space for a creative exchange that fosters intercultural dialogue and interaction, searching to emphasize the public space in the city. The platform is open to visual artists, architects, designers, etc.
During the stay, the selected resident is given the opportunity to develop a new project developing the main programme concept in a unique way.
Focus of the residency programme is the urban landscape of the city. It is divided into two basic programme modules:
>> Nature-culture interaction – focused on the river flowing through the city, the river Ada Island, also the city hills, parks, etc.
>> Architectural characteristics of the city – a rich combination of styles and epochs, with the emphasis on the cultural heritage of the socialist times;
ADATA AiR is a project of the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation, launched in partnership with the Goethe-Institute in Bulgaria and the Polish Institute in Sofia.
What is ADATA?
Adata is the name of a river island in Plovdiv (etymology from Turkish – ‘island’). Used as a picnic area at the beginning of the 20th century and also for growing fruits and vegetables, the island is currently a deserted area, a burden for its owners, serving only for free wood cutting and for different illegal activities. It had long been forgotten by the citizens until the European Capital of Culture turned it into a symbolic area within this program. The island represents not only the geographical spot but rather the state of isolation and alienation that has characterized our society for a long period of time. It was the reason to choose it as an emblem of this AiR program, with the goal of developing artistic interventions, installations, objects, sculptures and site-specific artworks in the public space, thus changing the perception of the island.
About ‘Plovdiv 2019’ Foundation
This is the organisation responsible for the implementation of the project European Capital of Culture. The initiative aims to revitalize and open up forgotten and dysfunctional spaces in the city using the means of art and culture. The flagship projects of the programme include some of the most prominent architectural and monumental achievements from the recent past, as well as the whole river area and the largest river island situated in the heart of the city.
Possible additional activities during the residency: artist talk/presentation, open studio, studio visits with local artists and curators.
The following is covered for the selected artist:
- travel expenses (in the amount of EUR 200),
- per diem costs (in the amount of EUR 750), and
- costs of material/production (in the amount of up to 500 EUR).
The residence lasts up to 4 weeks in the period from 15 September until 31 October 2019. The exact period of the residence in Plovdiv, obligations of the resident during residence, as well as detailed work on the idea that the resident proposes will be discussed in cooperation with the host organisation.
The candidates should meet the following requirements:
- they are of legal age and citizens of the Republic of Serbia;
- they have residence on the territory of the Republic of Serbia (artists with residence on the territory of the City of Novi Sad and partner municipalities in the project: Irig, Beočin and Sremski Karlovci have the advantage);
- they are working in the following disciplines: visual arts, digital media, architecture, performance art, land art, sculpture, sound art, other;
- they are fluent in English or Bulgarian;
- they have not been selected as candidates in other mobility programmes of the Foundation ‘Novi Sad 2021’ (Plants AiR, Kizuna, Mobility grants).
All candidates that are interested should submit the following documents:
- short biography in English, that must not be longer than 4 pages (the candidates should list their professional artistic experience, the most important exhibitions, presentations, cooperation, previous residences in similar programmes, etc.);
- accompanying letter in English between 150-250 words (the candidates should propose an idea for the project that would be implemented during their residence in Plovdiv);
- portfolio with 3-5 of selected works in one PDF that is not bigger than 5 MB;
- scan of their ID as the proof of residence.
The above mentioned documents should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Residential programme Plovdiv 2019’ no later than 16. 8. 2019. године у поноћ.
The candidates will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- previous artistic work (biography);
- project proposal/idea (accompanying letter);
For any additional questions you can write to: email@example.com.
The Decision of the Steering Committee on the open call can be found here.